April 20, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day #20

Today's prompt was to write about a hero. There have been many heros in my life, but my thoughts upon conjuring them up seemed contrived and shallow, and so I scrapped the idea and instead started reading Loving in the War Years, a fantastic book by Cherrie (accent on the I) L. Moraga, which inspired the following poem, which ended up being about a hero. Funny how that works. Kay, I'll shut up now.


I dreamt
that my legs were
sewn shut
even stitches
bonding left
to right
a hoard
of years, sweaty
indiscretions
pouched between
my thighs
bulbous shame
pressing tight
bloated
against
my core

I awoke
black and blue
with fatigue
you were
next to me
hand to source
pulling me
towards
my memory
you don't
notice
my whimpers
under cover
pleasure
counting down
to dreams


I hear
the whisper of
my younger years
amongst
your moans
that girl, so light
on her toes,
ready to jump
from the
skylight
just to feel
the wind
shoved
through
the dirty
spaces
legs splayed
two thick
proponents of
victory

I bare
my clitoris
for you
a winged
creature
chirping
in unison
with my
fear
my body
my hero
attempting
to break
chains and
flee

No comments:

Post a Comment