April 26, 2010

Poetry: The Engagement

I am accompanied by
avoidant feet
Every six steps the slap
of burgeoning mud
Acoustic sorrow
while you pour from my pores
Six miles and counting
I am almost spent


my narrowed eyes
sipping pungent sweat
to the beat of rubber
on cement, arms pumping
this tortured flesh
castrated beneath the
Mediterranean sun

Some months ago, I
stumbled into this thing
we do. Galloped into the
never done offering
All the lavender promises
of forever. today,
I pile miles over
my disappointment
retract the offer
to change, for this
spirited one, failure

was inevitable. Every
seventh step
I am gasping, having
Spent my last inhalation
Hurdling your offers
there in the mud
an attempt to outpace
my impetuousness overtake
your impermanence
finding the pain in my groin
is debilitating just
a few miles from the end

No comments:

Post a Comment